Full Banner

End of Strike on the Horizon for Bais Rivkah

A possible end to the teachers’ strike in Bais Rivkah seems to be in sight, this according to sources within the administration, board and teachers group. The strike has left students of 18 classes without a proper school schedule since before Pesach.

With many accusations being leveled at all parties, it has been extremely difficult for parents to obtain accurate information – due in part to the lack of leadership and no organized statements or updates, leaving many to vent on social media or attempt to loosely organize tuition strikes of their own.

On Sunday, CrownHeights.info spoke with many sources close to the issues, and while few were willing to go on the record, one member of the board was confident in saying that he sees an agreement in place by Monday night and the potential resumption of normal school schedule starting Tuesday.

A flurry of meetings between parents, represented by the PTA, and the teachers on Sunday morning resulted in talks about arranging payrolls to bring the teachers back to work – possibly as soon as Tuesday morning – contingent on other agreements to be worked out with the school’s administration.

Accusations have been leveled at the board that they were the ones who in some way drove the teachers to strike, in an attempt to put pressure on the administration to resign. Paraphrasing a conversation with a member of the board, one source told us the board-member told him “it was a pressure tactic, but we lost control of [the teachers] and it is now a runaway freight train.”

Meanwhile, one of the teachers behind the strike was quoted as saying, “we were just pawns in a game and we weren’t aware that we were being manipulated.”

Board member Yerachmiel Jacobson vehemently denied that the board was in any way part of the strike.

Jacobson further said that his board was in the final steps of working out a permanent agreement that would enable him to make commitments that would hold legal weight, and have the school back to normal function. “Anything can happen, but I am confident that the agreements would be worked out by Monday night and Tuesday school will resume – barring any sudden changes,” he said.

During the strike, two teachers have been running nearly full day programs for their students in their homes, while a number of other teachers had short get-togethers in neighborhood Shuls, and some held classes over the phone.

46 Comments

  • 2. cholentmitkugel wrote:

    It must be a small fortune to catch up on payroll. I hope eeveryone gets paid. And I trust payroll will be current in the future..or another walk out will occur.

    Reply
  • 3. Nope wrote:

    Perhaps the two teachers who started this mess based on lies and falsehoods should personally apologize tontheir collegues fornusing them as pawns. And to the parents for the stress and loss of sholom bayis. And to the students whos are the real innocent victims. Perhaps these two teachers who leave their students with substitutes one day a week because they are so committed and care so deeply should walk away and spread their vile hatred elsewhere.

    Reply
  • 4. Did any Rov give a Heter for the teachers to strike? wrote:

    Did any Rov give a Heter for the teachers to strike?

    That is what FRUM YIDDEN do!

    Please!

    The Administration expects teachers to act as frum yidden should.

    Reply
    • 5. Citizen Berel wrote:

      Why do you need a heter not to come into work when you aren’t being paid.

      What type of magical accusation is this? What prohibition do you imagine they have transgressed?

      I want teachers to teach for free as much as you do, trust me!

      At the beginning of the year, the teachers collectively put the world on notice that they weren’t willing or able to ‘work’ on a volunteer basis anymore and refused to start the school year until they were assured that the school could meet its obligations as an employer. The school made the assurances, but at some point the checks stopped coming in.

      They needed to consult with their mashpiem.

      This is besides the point that many of them volunteered (look it up) to continue teaching the children in other venues.

    • 6. yoy wrote:

      The Administration expects teachers to act as frum yidden should.

      and the administration and board should pay on time as frum yidden should

    • 7. just asking wrote:

      Did any rov give a heter not to pay people their salaries?????

    • 8. Not if they're not paid wrote:

      Halacha says you must pay workers on time. I’m not aware of any halacha that says you have to keep working if you’re not paid.

    • 9. Heter wrote:

      Did a Rov give a heter not to pay the teachers?
      Frum Yidden follow Shulchan Aruch and pay employees on time

    • 10. chatzkill wrote:

      because the teachers are frum they must strike! if not they are causing other jews to be עובר on לא ילין and גניבה!

    • 11. Wolfy wrote:

      DId anyone ask for a heter not to pay teachers? Last time I checked, it’s d’oraisa to pay your (Jewish) employees.

  • 12. cccb wrote:

    and do frum yidden not pay their teachers on time when they are running households? something is really off here. who holds by halachas anymore, people are more into using halacha for whats convenient for their politics, etc.
    its causing apathy

    Reply
    • 13. Chaim H. wrote:

      Not addressing this specific issue, just the following part of your comment….

      cccb wrote:
      “who holds by halachas anymore,”

      Response:
      YOU DO!!!! The Torah and it’s laws were given to YOU at har-sinai, what 99.9% of people do your don’t do, does not c”v change anything in the Torah and it’s laws, what 99.9% does or doesn’t do, does not change right from wrong.

      משה אמת ותורתו אמת

      cccb wrote:
      “people are more into using halacha for whats convenient for their politics,”

      “people” do or don’t do lot’s of things, we don’t follow people, we follow a Torah, where others fail, you must succeed, be a good example.

      The above applies to ALL areas of a Jews life!!!

      G-d bless, may we have peace and unity.

  • 14. The Administration expects teachers to act as frum yidden should. wrote:

    And the teachers expect the same. Promising to pay them and not doing so is LYING. Taking their time efforts then failing to pay is STEALING.

    Lying and stealing? Tell us again about the way frum yidden should act.

    Nobody needs any Rav’s permission to guarantee their own survival… ever.

    Reply
  • 16. Jacobson wrote:

    Lies lies lies if anything Jacobson, from all board memeber was the most to do with the strike and all this noise, it is wrong from all the people from the administration and the administrations family that is struggling and no one is helping them out or sticking up for them.

    Reply
    • 17. Dedicated volunteer wrote:

      Mr Jacobson has a successful business and is spending time and money on beis rivka as a complete volunteer. It is very sad and a shame that there are morons/fools like you that speak this way!

    • 18. intrest wrote:

      yes he gave money but did you no he’s charging interest on his money until he gets it back???? how ridicules. who the fools now?? all the people who think the board j just gave money!!! the board is making the money for nothing.

  • 19. The kangeroo wrote:

    Did The Rov give you a heter not to pay the teachers..That is what not crooked people do, pay the underpaid teachers and even a non frum understands that.lOY SAMOID AL DAM RAICHO

    Reply
  • 20. from the hood wrote:

    as far as a heter to strike hahahahahahahaha…………………..FRUM YIDDEN ARE SUPPOSED TO BE PAID ON TIME IN ACCORDANCE WITH THEIR AGREEMENT WITH THE EMPLOYER ………..

    Reply
  • 22. M wrote:

    Who is this board member?

    What does administration have to do with the boards promise of back pay. How is the administration impeding their promise of back pay?

    Where is their CEO that they hired?

    Who will pay the “new board” the12% interst they want on loan?

    Do u want the new board to sell the lot on east new York to themselves so they can build condos and make nore money for themselves. Beis rivka needs to expand.

    Self made millionaires.how will they understand tuition and give fair breaks?

    How about the new board hiring moshe pinson to fundraise. They gave him a fat 120000 salary. What did he bring in? Why is he getting paid before the teachers. Is beis rivka ahead of beis shmuel and mikva mei mushka in his fundraising endevours?

    Would love for the board to answer these quesions.

    Ty

    P.s. over the years Benjy and Laima have always pulled thru. Maybe the “new board” is impeding their ability to keep the school running?

    Revamping the division heads and extra assistant principles will definitely reduce the payroll.

    Reply
  • 23. Two Wrongs Make a Right? wrote:

    It is wrong not to pay teachers – but maybe there is no money so the wrong is unavoidable.

    Teachers to strike is a serious decision against the PUBLIC and caused grave sin on multiple levels including bitul torah u’mitzvos.

    Rabbeim are FORBIDDEN to strike according to Halacha (the rules which many of of try to follow even if our logic may not agree with it).

    Do girls teachers have a right to strike according to Halacha (not the logic of the baal habos, but Torah rules)? – that is a shayla for a Rov, not the boych sevora of our logic!

    Torah does not conform to logic (rather our logic needs to conform to Torah).

    If the school is wrong (and that is a big IF – it assumes they CHOSE to do wrong willingly), can we retaliate with wanton sin?!

    Reply
    • 24. Wolfy wrote:

      In CH in 2017, please tell me how a family is not supposed to become homeless or starve if they don’t have any income?

    • 25. made up halochois wrote:

      There is no halocho that a teacher can’t stop working if he does not get paid.
      There is a halocho that he can’t demand better conditions in middle of the contract.

      In addition if in the beginning the employer is warned from the outset what will happen if the employer does not follow through, then the onus is completely on the employer.

      Look who is talking aobut making up a new torah.

    • 26. To: Two Wrongs Make a Right? wrote:

      You get me ANGRY!

      Halacha Shmalocha – where is MENTCHLICHKEIT???

  • 27. When will we hear the truth wrote:

    According to rabbi shemtov the money for the payroll is a loan. They already took close to 2mill in loans the parents will be paying it back voa tuition!!

    Reply
  • 28. Zalman wrote:

    Are their permits yet for the condos they would like to develop for their own financial gains on property Bais Rivkah owns for expansion??? #showthepermits

    Reply
  • 30. The kangeroo wrote:

    The FRUM demand is known by chassidim as Hazershe fis(pigs feet} you are completaly treif but show you split hoofs to claim that you are kosher

    Reply
  • 32. Mendy J wrote:

    Lies lies lies everyone lies. How many people claim poverty when it comes to paying tuition to Bais Rivkah.
    Then go on a vacation even if it cost you nothing because you used miles I am sure that you end up spending some extra cash which could of been used to pay more tuition.
    Or how many people lease a more expensive model car, when a cheaper one is sufficient. (I got a deal on it, how can I pass on it)
    For paying tuition we cannot afford, but for everything else there is always excuses

    Reply
  • 33. great wrote:

    what did striking accomplish? For more than a month grades first through third have not have proper classes. I Here my neighbors telling their daughter ” today your going to pretend school” I mean seriously? Is this what it has come to? Honestly speaking the striking has accomplished nothing and will continue to do so. I don’t know if people remember, but earlier in the year there was a strike too. What did it accomplish? Ziltch and we’re back to square one with another strike. Please the people who need to get things done, please work it out. Not on the expense of our children missing classes and not at the expense of ruining sholom bais. Mothers are have been driven crazy trying to figure out each day where each of her 8 children were going to be. Running around to drop off and gather her children from five different locations. Can’t there be another way to solve the situation without having SEVEN year olds having a debate on the tuition situation?

    Reply
    • 34. busy bubby wrote:

      I think it showed that neglecting to pay teachers is unacceptable. Maybe some families will purchase homes in other neighborhoods and send their children to other schools. Maybe some other families will organize small coop schools with less expense involved. I don’t think anyone should be expected to work without pay, no matter how holy the endeavor.

  • 35. Kol hakovod wrote:

    To all the high school teachers who have continued to teach
    Your dedication is inspiring
    Your devotion beyond the call of duty deserves a big thank you

    Reply
  • 36. The kangeroo wrote:

    Why all this debate if you can not pay teachers don’t hire any.Teaching torah to children is the obligation of the father or parents.You say everyday Vshinantom levonaho in shma.Get up and teach your children and your seven year old would not have to debate the tuition.

    Reply
  • 37. Yerachmeal jacobson wrote:

    Bais rivka is lucky to have him. He has done much for our community. Thank you thank you…

    Reply
  • 38. ch resident wrote:

    This is extremely ludicrous and embarrassing. Its like a circus coming to town. Today there is school, tomorrow there is no school, the next day everyone has half a day, the next day some grades have half a day etc. Without proper administration NOTHING will be resolved and the strike will become tradition again next year and the year after etc.

    Reply
  • 39. FRIENDS wrote:

    1 teacher from grades 1-3 was behind the strike being backed from board members the truth is out!

    Reply
  • 40. ...and another day passes... wrote:

    …with 100’s of kids in the street, or glued to watching movies all day long etc. who will take responsibility for all of this??? Imagine if the Rebbe would be here, and act accordingly…there is no reliable communication to the parents, most of whom are paying tuition, all there seems to be is “fake news”…no words from Rabonim (by the Eiruv they were ALL there – but they are in large part responsible in creating the generation that is putting up the Eiruv…), no words from the so called community activist, no words from anyone in a position to act…

    Reply
  • 41. To: Two Wrongs Make a Right? wrote:

    Teachers to strike is a serious decision against the PUBLIC and caused grave sin on multiple levels including bitul torah u’mitzvos.

    Rabbeim are FORBIDDEN to strike according to Halacha (the rules which many of of try to follow even if our logic may not agree with it).

    Do girls teachers have a right to strike according to Halacha (not the logic of the baal habos, but Torah rules)? – that is a shayla for a Rov, not the boych sevora of our logic!

    Torah does not conform to logic (rather our logic needs to conform to Torah).

    If the school is wrong (and that is a big IF – it assumes they CHOSE to do wrong willingly), can we retaliate with wanton sin?!

    ‘YOU GET ME SO ANGRY!!

    HALACHA SHMALACHA – WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO MENTCHLICHKET?????

    Learn what that is!!!!!

    Reply
    • 42. made up halochois wrote:

      first of all stop lying and making up halochois.

      second of all you make me OH VERY ANGRY.
      WHere is the mechlichkite ot even ask let alone demand someone to work without pay, maybe you do that???!!
      you are mamash a rosho merusho!!

  • 43. Torah is logical too... wrote:

    It offers good guidance on how not to be abused by employers, and how not to abandon our own well being based on someone else’s ideological interpretation.

    Unlike some, the Torah allows us to apply common sense.

    And STILL the teachers have went above and beyond the call of duty over the last week AND STILL took on teaching outside of school.

    It’s the teachers who are true to Torah, not the school who habitually transgresses Torah law. Husbands of teachers, remember this when you sing Aishes Chayil next Shabbat.

    Reply
    • 44. Logic wrote:

      I hope the kashrus in your kitchen or the taharas hamishpocha is not decided by “logic”! I hope your shmiras shabbos is not governed by logic! Yet actions of teachers that affects hundreds of students is outside the rules of Torah and simply decide by logic.

  • 45. FRIENDS wrote:

    there is a misnaged in the house! A teacher a misnaged is backing the strikes!!!

    Reply
  • 46. 43. Logic wrote:

    Yea! Who needs common sense anyway when we can be sheeple to people with attitudes like yours?

    Reply

Leave Comment

Comment moderation is in use. Please do not submit your comment twice -- it will appear shortly.