In an unprecedented ZOOM Achdus meeting representing the majority of Shuls in Crown Heights to discuss the potential reopening of our Shuls, 63 Crown Heights Shuls confirmed their participation.
The meeting was held upon the request of Dr. Shlomie Minkowitz of the Gedalia Society and was hosted by Rabbi Lazer Avtzon of the Association of CH Shuls.
Guidelines for indoor minyanim in Crown Heights, current as of 28 Iyar.
● Every shul must appoint a “COVID memunah” to ensure the following guidelines are
● Only 10 people total inside at a time, in line with current NYS law.
● Anyone above age 65 who has not been sick yet (or does not have antibodies) should
not attend an indoor minyan at this time.
● Nobody currently ill or recently ill may attend
● People who choose to attend an indoor minyan should not “minyan hop” between
different indoor minyanim; they should stick to the same group of 10 wherever feasible
● At least 6 feet distance should be maintained between all those inside
● All those inside should wear masks
● Everyone should use Purell/disinfectant on their hands upon entry and exit.
● Garbage cans should be available for dirty tissues and the like
● No refreshments (coffee, mezonos) should be served
● Time spent in shul should be purely for davening/layning. There should be no speeches,
socializing, farbrenging, etc.
● Only one person should use the restroom at a time
● There should be no kissing the sefer torah, mantel, etc. The oleh l’torah can touch his
tallis to the klaf and then kiss the tallis.
● The baal koreh should be the one to take the Sefer Torah from the Aron to the Bimah.
The magbiah takes the Sefer Torah back to the Aron.
○ A mask should be worn by the magbiah and golel. Although everyone is asked
to wear a mask, this is being reiterated here for emphasis.
● Regarding someone getting an aliyah:
○ A mask should be worn by the oleh letorah. Although everyone is asked to wear
a mask, this is being reiterated here for emphasis. The baal koreh should wear a
mask as well, to the extent feasible.
○ Only someone who has already been sick or has antibodies may get an aliyah
○ The oleh letorah and baal koreh should, to the extent possible, not face each
other during the layning.
If you do not think your shul can adhere to the above guidelines, an indoor minyan should not be conducted.
The following Shuls participated in the Zoom call:
Bais Dovid / F.R.E.E.
Bais Eliezer Yitzchok
Bais Levi Yitzchok
Bais Menachem Mendel
Bais Shmuel Chabad
Bnai Shlomo Zalman / Frenkel
Chabad of Remsen Village
Cong Anash Chabad /935
Crown Heights shul
Eliyahu Nochum /Lefferts Shul
Friendship Circle Shul
Kehillas Chabad E. Flatbush
Kingsbrook Hospital Shul
Khal Bais Rivkah
Merkaz Sefarad Chabad
Minyan @ the Chabad House /M@TCH
Mountain Lodge Shul
Murphys Shul /Chovevei
The Mitzvah Center
To be included in the Association of CH Shuls please contact Rabbi Avtzon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To receive weekly publications normally distributed in Shul or Community announcements, please sign up using the following links.
CH Community Announcements
Weekly Shul Publications