Urgent call for all healthy donors (men and women) as blood supply drops to dangerously low levels!
New York Blood Center (NYBC) is partnering with local organizations and they need our help now! Join in this mitzva and save up to 3 lives!
The demand for red blood cells is increasing due to area hospitals resuming elective surgeries. To help meet this demand, there will be an appointment-only blood drive at the Oholei Torah Ballroom!
Who: All healthy donors (men and women)
When: Tuesday, Rosh Chodesh Tammuz, 5780 / June 23, 2020, 2:00pm – 8:00pm By appointment only!
Where: Oholei Torah Ballroom 667 Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn, NY 11213
Refreshments will be served.
Please click here to schedule an appointment if you are available and agree to the following:
– Feeling well and healthy.
– Not currently pregnant.
– Are at least 16 years old. (16 year old donors must have attached official written consent from parent or legal guardian)
– Weigh more than 110 pounds.
– Have not spent more than 5 years in Europe between 1980 to present.
– Have not spent more than 3 months in the United Kingdom from 1980 to 1996.
– Have not donated plasma in the last 28 days.
– Have not donated blood in the last 56 days.
– Have reviewed the travel and medical criteria info at https://nybc.org/donate-blood/become-donor/can-i-donate-blood/ and will not be disqualified. (The NYBC is available to clarify any medical or travel-related questions. Please call them at 800.688.0900.)
PLASMA DONATION INSTRUCTIONS
If you tested positive for COVID-19 or tested positive for antibodies, the plasma portion of your whole blood donation will be used for convalescent plasma.
– After registering for a donation time slot, verification documentation must be submitted using the “VERIFY HERE” link by Friday, June 19th, 5:00 pm in order to be approved by NYBC.
– The answer to “Did you test positive for COVID-19” is YES even if you just tested for antibodies.
– Please upload your test results in the upload documentation area.
– There will be a dropdown menu under referring organization, you must choose Ahavas Chesed.
– NYBC will only contact you if there’s a problem with your documentation. Your scheduled time slot will be the one you chose in the “REGISTER HERE” link.
Due to the current public health crisis, NYBC has implemented several safety and social distancing procedures. All donors MUST MAKE AN APPOINTMENT (walk-ins will not be permitted at this time).
Wear a mask and come alone (no additional guests will be allowed to enter the location).
Don’t forget to bring a Photo ID or your Donor ID card.
Tips to be a successful donor:
– Eat a high iron diet and hydrate well for at least 3 days prior to donating.
– Get a good night’s rest.