Posted to Chabad News on
|

Chabad Beis Din Backs IDF Draft Agreement

The Bais Din Rabbonei Chabad of Eretz Yisroel today released a letter backing the agreement reached between Chabad Askanim and the Israeli government regarding the draft of Lubavitcher young men to the IDF.

According to the deal that was hammered out, 15% of Chabad students will be exempt from army service, and the other 85% will be drafted at the age of 26, presumably after there are married. The agreement allows the students to leave the country for a year of ‘Kvutzeh’ in 770 prior to their service.

After the agreement was announced yesterday, Wednesday, rumors were swirling around that the agreement was reached through bribery, that it is opposed by Chabad spiritual leaders, and that the Lubavitcher Rebbe was opposed to any such deal.

To counter these rumors, the Bais Din Rabbonei Chabad of Eretz Yisroel issued a letter today, Thursday, 7 Av, clarifying that they fully back the deal with the IDF, and that those who say the Rebbe was opposed to any such deal are erring.

The letter was signed by rabbis Zev Dov Slonim, Y. Y. Yeruslavsky, Avrohom M. Halperin, Eliyahu Yochanan Gurary, Yosef Hecht, Moshe Havlin and M.M. Gluckowsky.

IMG-20160811-WA0006

8 Comments

  • 1. Yitzchok wrote:

    Is R’ Meir Ashkenazi, (the Kfar Chabad Rov who replaced his father), part of this Bais Din?

  • 2. Why didn't he sign ?? wrote:

    What about Rabbi Ashkenazi from Kfar . Is he against the deal !!!

  • 3. Rabbonim wrote:

    Whats the difference if Rabbi Ashkenazi Signed. you have 7!!!! Rabonim from the official beis Din in Eretz Yisroel.

    Done!!!

    Dont look for Machloikes!!!

  • 4. Why didn't he sign ?? wrote:

    Not only Harav Askenazi but hundreds of other Chabad Rabbonim didn’t sign. It appears that there is something wrong with the deal. Just wait we will soon find out . Those who rushed to sign may have received something in return

  • 6. NoYechi770InJerusalem wrote:

    Rabbi Zev Dov Slonim who is the mechutan of Rabbi Avrohom Osdoba is a signatore good enough for me!!!

  • 7. LS wrote:

    They should want to go on their own. Contribute something to the state that protects them.

  • 8. Shalom wrote:

    Why were the other Rabbonim opposed to the deal?
    This would be interesting to know

×

Comments are closed.