For the first time since its founding in 1949, the village of Kfar Chabad in central Israel has assigned names to its streets.
Since its founding at the behest of the Frierdiker Rebbe, Kfar Chabad has never had official street names. Residents and visitors would use familiar landmarks to find their way around the village.
In the early years of the Rebbe’s Nesius, the leadership of Kfar Chabad asked if they should implement street names. The Rebbe responded that the time was not yet ripe for this, since the village was still growing, and a street that may have originally been designated as the main street – with the most honorable name – could find itself overshadowed by other, larger streets as the village expanded.
About six months ago, after conferring with the Rov of Kfar Chabad, Rabbi Meir Ashkenzi, the Vaad of Kfar Chabad has determined that the time has finally come to name the streets of the village.
A special committee made up of Chabad Rabbonim, community leaders and elder Chassidim was appointed to oversee this monumental task.
After a half a year of deliberations and public comment, the committee charged with naming the village’s streets has unveiled a comprehensive map of the streets of Kfar Chabad.
The names reflect Chabad’s storied history and the legacy of its leaders, with the main thoroughfares named after the Rebbes of Chabad, and most of the remaining roads named after their works on Torah and Chasidus, the Rebbe’s campaigns, and various legendary Chasidim.
Signs denoting each street will be erected by the Vaad of Kfar Chabad over the coming months.
Photos courtesy of Shturem.net. Click on photos to enlarge.