Posted to NYC News on
|

Welfare Recipients get $200 Back to School Stimulus

NEW YORK, NY [CHI] — Governor David A. Paterson today announced a historic collaboration with George Soros and the Open Society Institute (OSI) that will provide one-time, $200 grants to more than 800,000 children in low-income families across New York State to help purchase school supplies as they prepare to return to class in September. Families who receive public assistance or food stamps can access this one-time Back-To-School Supplement of $200 per school-aged child (ages 3 through 17) starting today. The Governor was joined by Mr. Soros and other elected officials at P.S. 208 in New York City today to make the announcement.

OSI committed $35 million from its Foundation to Promote Open Society to the State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA), which oversees programs for low-income families. That commitment triggered the availability of an additional $140 million in federal funding through the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) emergency contingency fund that was established under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) earlier this year.

“This first-of-its-kind partnership in New York is an example of how the public and private sectors can work together to foster a brighter future for the low-income families of our State,” Governor Paterson said. “These $200 grants will provide thousands of families with a much needed financial boost so that they can better meet the needs of their children as they prepare to go back to school. This partnership is a continuation of my commitment to aggressively identifying opportunities to use economic stimulus funds to help our neediest New Yorkers and to bolster our State’s economy.”

Mr. Soros said: “Even in the toughest of economic times, getting ready for school is important. When I was a student right after World War II, I had no money. I received cash from charities and I remember how important that was to my education. Since then, I have been very fortunate, so I am happy I’ve been given the opportunity today to help others. I hope these funds will relieve some of the financial burden on New York’s families so their children can start the school year off with a measure of optimism and hope for the future.”

New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said: “Over the past year in New York City, we’ve attacked the national recession by doing more than ever to connect New Yorkers to employment, job training and the critical financial supports they need. Governor Paterson and I agree that New York’s brightest days are still ahead of us and we will continue to work hard for those in need. George Soros’ generous gift – combined with federal funding – will not only provide welcome assistance as kids head back to school but will also pump money into our local economy at a time when we need it most.”

The supplements will be placed in accounts for each eligible family that can be accessed with their Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card, which are normally used to access public assistance and food stamp benefits. Two-thirds of the eligible recipients of the back-to-school supplements are in food stamp-only households, and the majority of these households are low-income working families or families receiving unemployment benefits.

Families can use the money to buy their children books, pencils, pens, notebooks, calculators, backpacks, shoes, tutoring, school uniforms and other clothing and essential school items. Families should look to take advantage of discounts offered by retailers in the coming weeks before school starts. The $175 million in Back-To-School Supplements will provide an economic boost to communities throughout the State as families purchase supplies, bolstering back-to-school retail sales.

The funds are available starting today, August 11th, and will expire in 90 days.

81 Comments

  • 1. don-t give $ give supplies wrote:

    don’t give $, give supplies or the money may just go for some gadget for the parent or who knows what…it’s happened before…

  • 2. Boruch ben Tzvi (A H)HaKohaine Hoffinger wrote:

    BS”D
    Thanks for the info.
    The title is a little misleading.
    Not every low income family is on welfare

  • 3. struggling!! wrote:

    more money for low income families what about all us families that are struggling but don’t fit the mold of low income because we are paid on the books. We could use the money more!!!

  • 4. Lorraine c wrote:

    I think this is great for the kids.They should have went a step further and gave out vouchers to specific stores where they can purschase these items for the children. Giving cash to the parents does not ensure the children will get the benefit. Some parents will definitely use some or all of this free money for stupid things like d…. and al….. Remember not everybody’s parent is responsible and will do the right thing by the kids.Let’s see when school starts how many kids are not prepared for school.

  • 5. mayra wrote:

    i received $200 for my 12 year old, it states the funds are available today and will expire in 90 days. You have to be 3-17 years old, so when my son turns 3 in september will i receive the $200 for him also?

  • 6. Not a well thought out situation! wrote:

    They way this was done was not smart at all. If they wanted to supply low-income families with help for their children to go back to school, they should have given them vouchers to go to clothing stores and supply stores. By giving them cash majority of the parents will not use it for their kids. I already know of one parent who has used theirs to go on vacation. They also should have thought about working parents who are not eligible for Welfare or Food Stamps, but still could use the help. It was a nice thought and gesture, but not a very well thought out plan.

  • 7. A Hardworker disappointed wit our system wrote:

    I’m not trying to sound harsh but why is it that only “Welfare or Food Stamps Recipients” are always the only 1’s who qualify for funds like this. The city really needs to know that because of this depression we “The Hardworking Low-Income, No food stamp qualifying, No Welfare receiver” are also struggling. Whenever we’re back up with our bills we can’t count on no1 to pull us out of it. We can only depend on ourselves to pay them and trust us we wish that we had someone who would pay a partial amount every time we get back up. I really don’t think it’s fair!!!

  • 8. adf wrote:

    whatever!
    I’m so angry…it’s wonderful…but honestly, most of these pple don’t even need it. I work like a horse, we can use it, but we can’t get it because we’re honest and have no connections….
    it’s nauseating!

    all the best to all of us :)

  • 9. mike wrote:

    i know someone who has 7 kids and gets assistance they told me they will be buying a hd tv with there money does this fall under school supplies

  • 10. I Am Not Rich. Just Paying My Bills. wrote:

    Pathetic. The whole system encourages people to be lazy and not work or to work “off the books” otherwise they will not qualify for all the government handouts. I am not eligible for this stuff and think that anyone who doesn’t get a job for fear of losing their handouts is a low class, bloodsucking, lazy and useless citizen.

  • 11. Bright Future wrote:

    What “Brighter future” are we talking about in this article????? The one where the kid grows up not working and collecting food stamps? Really bright!

  • 12. Upper Middle Class Feinschmekers wrote:

    Nice! I will get my money and go on vacation with my family!!! Maybe we will go to a high class place like Connecticut since we are such high class people.

  • 14. shaiya wrote:

    This is an outrage, why does the “NEW YORK STATE” get this opportunity!!! There are needing families through out the whole United States!!! So much for our title, “United”. WTF!!! I hope that someone reads this and takes to account of all of us that don’t live in the wonderful big apple. Have fun New Yorkers, I know if I had the money I would not at all spend it on anything other than my kids needed things, much needed. The United States is turning in the the Seperated-By-Greed States!!! ><

    God Bless America ><

  • 15. somebdy hard working wrote:

    i got money from this $200 grant and iam graetful for it i always work hard never stayed home on welfare for those who talked a whole bunch of crap if you got it you would not have nothing negative to say thats not nice in these times people really need it for my self i pay $1300 for rent thats not even with utilites and have 2 kids

  • 16. Kellie wrote:

    People with to much money suck. Did you ever think that not everyone who receives food stamps is lazy. I can bet that I spend more time talking to and playing with my kids than 90% of the population. Some people get hurt very bad and can’t even put their own socks on and off. They still spend 24 hours a day taking excellent care of their children. How about rich people who own way to much and have nannies raising their kids. The funny part is most of them aren’t smart or skilled in anyway but they were just born rich. Did any of you complainers ever think that some of us less fortunate people are very caring and would give anything to help others out? I know I do not go a single day without helping out someone else. Can you say that. If you have a problem with New York getting “things” that you don’t then move to NY and stop whining. I know I would never want anyones kids to go to bed hungry or to go to school dressed badly and get picked on. Thats something to complain about BULLY’S. Who are the parents to these kids?

  • 17. Stacy wrote:

    all the people taking crap about $200 walk in our shoes and see how it feels, No unemployment benefits no real incom only PA. I worked at my job for 17 years and my employer denied unemployment benefits We were left to basically die. so please understand the plight of some PA people.I too was a tax payer who did not understand until I lost my Job.

  • 18. Welfare Worker wrote:

    Let’s be for real. Here’s the deal. That money will be spent before the week’s over. On what? Stupid hair dos and nails for the mother, minutes for the pre-paid phone, fast food and other nonsense. Unfortunately that’s how the majority of the recipients will suander this stimulus money.

  • 19. God is Good wrote:

    To those that are saying that the family should be given vouchers to a specific store is absurd. What if the child needs something else that is not sold in that specific store.

    You guys that are talking about its your tax money, come on you are blessed to be helping the needy. stop being selfish and be glad you are not in need like the thousands of needy Americans.

    Not everyone on welfare is lazy. Some people are on welfare because they got laid off or because they need help until they become self sufficient.

    i do agree not all recepients deserved it, but there are other recepients that really needed this money in such economic hardships.
    God bless America.

  • 20. Have Kids! wrote:

    I got a feeling that in nine months from now there will be a lot more pregnancies from this. Vedal.

  • 21. sara wrote:

    They should absolutely include the middle class in all this.

    Please don’t call all people that are getting these benefits

    lazy & scammers.

    We have these benefits – not because we are lazy and not because we are scammers – If we didn’t have it we would be hungry.

    We don’t plan on staying on it – we still working on getting on our 2 feet. The day we can be off it w e will.

    Please have consideration before you post.

  • 22. welfare food stamps happy to be!!!!!!!:) wrote:

    for the one who don’t know to be on welfare you have to work!!!!!!!!!!!!{) if not they don’t give it to you!!!
    so check before talking you don’t even know what you are talking about
    i got 1000 $ for my kids i am on welfare and foodstamp and i am happy to be in it because it’s help me a lot
    i am not lazzy b/c i am working and hard worker
    i live in an appartement this is my choice if you choose to live in a villa this is your choice and to have a car.
    hashem gives you what you suppose to get not more and not less so no need to argue or to treat all other people to be lazzy when not all are!!!

  • 23. Concerned Social Worker wrote:

    This is not a well thought out plan. How much is really going to go for school supplies, and there are a lot of “low income” people who could use the money who are not eligible. A better plan would have been to give the school vouchers for a number of children and let it be decided that way. As it is, the parents can do ANYTHING they want with the money and unfortunately many kids may not get “thier” money.

  • 25. Struggling mom wrote:

    For all of u that have such negative things to say, u need not be so judgemental as im sure if you were receiving you’d be happy too. I ama single mother of two, my fiaance walked out on us because he was stressed that he lost his job and could not take care of us. Because of his ignorance I’ve been on my own trying my hardest. Not on welfare, I recently began receiving foodstamps. I make too much for any other programs, I pay 876 dollars a month in daycare, 1100 rent, I do not receive child support and I am struggling. The 400 dollars I received was a blessing for me, so be mindful when u make heartless comments without knowing. Not everyone is a mooch, I work DAMN HARD. I didn’t walk out on my family!

  • 26. ML wrote:

    Read the article! It is not Tax $, it comes from an org called Open Society, the founder is Mr. Soros, a jewish man, he is making the donation to help these families as he was helped when he was poor, after WW II.

  • 27. Shocked n Annoyed wrote:

    WOW… yea I concur..it should have been handled differently and given throughout the nation,not just limited to New York…. as we are ALL suffering in this here recession.

  • 28. sick of stimulus checks wrote:

    When will the day come that people are responsible for themselves and their families??? All this kind of money does is continue to encourage people to stay “low income” because it is always easier spending other peoples money. I think this is ridiculous!!!!

  • 29. I should quit my job so I donotpayfordru wrote:

    What a joke, they will spend the money on crack. There is no oversight here. Thanks for spending my tax money on drugs Patterson.

  • 30. paulette wrote:

    I feel he should have done it for every state NY state is the most help state as far a welfare and heap programs and food programs.

    Here in Alabama where the jobs are going down and no assistance to help pay utilities and NY the state that has so much assistance get the help.

    I am sure it help a lot of families and I am not envious of this but we are in need of major help in the south

  • 31. VML wrote:

    IM A SINGLE MOTHER OF TWO WHO’S NOT TOO POOR TO GET FOODSTAMPS AND NOT TOO RICH NOT TO NEED IT.IM BROKE, WORK TO PAY BILLS NO SAVINGS AND TWO KIDS THAT ARE GOING BACK TO SCHOOL BUT MY TAXES PAID FOR ALL THIS BONUSES AND I DONT SEE ANY HELP COMMING MY WAY. I ALSO KNOW ALOT OF PEOPLE WHO CASH THAT MONEY AND WENT TO ORCHARD BEACH TO DRINK BEER!!!!!!

  • 32. BLESSED TODAY... DAVENING FOR TOMORROW wrote:

    Before “you all” comment on this grant….
    Have you taken in consideration the dozens, NO! MAKE THAT HUNDREDS of divorced mothers who have several children and to whom child support is not even a given, because the exes do not care enough about their own kids to understand that they have divorced their wives and NOT THEIR CHILDREN, and therefore the children should not be punished by holding back the child support…. and so…the child support becames an ilusion…. and welfare, and sometimes ONLY welfare is the one that puts a roof over their heads and food on the table???
    Have you taken in consideration, how much they struggle to pay the basic necessities…. and we are not even talking about what for others may be just the norm, such as new uniforms (as oppose to hand me downs…), supplies, even a pair of shoes that fits comfortably or that even can be called a real pair of shoes… and not some plastic leather immitation…. just so that it looks like it is new???
    And what about a new coat in the winter…. as oppose to hand me downs from older siblings or used clothing gemachs???
    Do you all stop to think if the “lucky”…. not just lucky, but truly blessed recipients will not spend the money on their kids…. not because thei will go around buying luxuries… or taking vacations… BUT REALLY BECAUSE THEY HAD TO PAY BILLS RIGHT THEN AND THERE… AND THEY WERE GOING OUT OF THEIR MINDS, BECAUSE THE DUE DATES FOR THEIR BASIC UTILITIES WERE UPON THEM AND THEY HAD NO IDEA FROM WHERE THE MONEY WAS GOING TO COME???
    Do you stop to think how many will be walking with a lighter spring on their feet because MEAYIN YAVO EZRI, EZRI MAMASH MIN HASHEM!!!!… and bills got paid on time, at least this once????
    To all of you who haven’t given a second thought to why they DO deserve this grant:
    I AM ONE OF THOSE LUCKY, NO… TRULY BLESSED PEOPLE!!!
    I NEEDED TO PAY BILLS BY THIS FRIDAY, AND DIDN’T KNOW HOW I WOULD PULL THIS TOGETHER!!
    I AM ONE OF THE MANY DIVORCED WOMEN IN CROWN HEIGHTS WHO HAS SEVERAL CHILDREN TO CARE AND PROVIDE FOR!!!
    I WAS ON WELFARE FOR 4 1/2 YEARS AFTER MY DIVORCE, AND TODAY I STILL REMAIN ON FOOD STAMPS… AND THEREFORE WAS THE LUCKY BLESSED RECIPIENT OF THIS GRANT!!!
    I AM ONE OF THE MANY DIVORCED WOMEN WHO AS I WALKED OUT OF THE BANK AFTER WITHDRAWING THE CASH GRANT, JUST STOOD THERE SMILING… AND DISCUSSING WITH TWO FRIENDS, WHO ALSO HAPPENED TO BE DIVORCED AND WITH SEVERAL KIDS, HOW GOOD IT IS TO LIVE IN NY… AS ONE REALLY CAN FEEL THAT “KAN TZIVAH HASHEM ET A BRACHA”… FOR WHEN WE DIDN’T KNOW WHERE TO TURN TO GET TO THE END OF THE WEEK… HASHEM CAME THROUGH FOR US!!
    I AM ONE OF THOSE WHO WAS ABLE TO WALK INTO THE HOUSE TODAY, AND FINALLY, AT LEAST THIS ONCE, SMILE A RELAXED AND HAPPY SMILE TO MY KIDS, NOT BECAUSE I WENT AND SPEND IT ON HOUSEHOLD LUXURIES OR ON MYSELF, BUT BECAUSE MY GROCERY BILL FINALLY GOT PAID AFTER MANY WEEKS, AND BECAUSE NOW I COULD PAY THE RENT AND MAKE IT TO THE END OF THE WEEK… WITHOUT SHEDING TEARS OF FRUSTRATION FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO PAY MY BASIC BILLS!!
    YES… THE MONEY MAY NOT MAKE IT TO THE STATIONARY STORE… NOT ALL OF IT… THE MONEY MAY NOT MAKE IT TO THE CLOTHING STORE FOR UNIFORMS… NOT ALL OF IT…
    BUT TODAY I CAN SLEEP A MORE RELAXED SLEEP. THE BILLS FOR THIS MONTH WERE PAID. NEXT MONTH HASHEM WILL HELP AGAIN. I KNOW… BECAUSE EVERY MONTH WHEN I FEEL LOST AND ALONE IN MY STRUGGLES…. HASHEM COMES THROUGH. THIS MONTH HE CHOSE TO DO IT THROUGH THE GRANT. IN G-D I TRUST. HE ALWAYS COMES THROUGH.
    DON’T BELITTLE THOSE THAT NEED, JUST BECAUSE THEY WERE LUCKY TO BE LOW INCOME, AND DON’T THINK WE DO NOT PAIN FOR YOU, WHO ARE ABOVE THE BRACKET AND UNABLE TO GET THE ASSISTANCE YOU SO VERY MUCH NEED!!
    IF YOU HAD GOTTEN THE HELP… INSTEAD OF US… WE WOULD BE HAPPY FOR YOU! BE HAPPY FOR US! WE DESERVE THIS BREAK NO LESS THAN YOU… AND IN OUR HAPPINESS FOR THIS SMALL MEASURE OF PEACE IN OUR CHAOTIC LIVES, WE DAVEN THAT YOUR NEEDS BE NEXT ON HASHEM’S “LIST OF THINGS TO DO TODAY” AND THAT HASHEM SENDS YOU, AND EVERYONE, THE HELP YOU AND EVERY ONE NEEDS TOO!!!

  • 33. DELORES wrote:

    i agree that it is a good plan for the low income families but not only new york has low income families, every state has more low income fam now more that ever. spread it all over the us. FAMILIES NEED THE HELP!!!!!!

  • 34. Ignorance really does seem to be bliss! wrote:

    I agree with a little of what a lot of people are saying! I am a 28 y/o mother of two and I do receive foodstamps, but I have been working since I was 14. While I was pregnant with both of my children I worked all 9 months! My husband and I paid our rent on our own and bought food on our own until I had to give up working because it turned out my son had a disability! Now that I am able to go back to work I cannot find a job. So desperate for work I even applied at retail stores and low paying jobs like at Mcdonals and Dunkin donuts! Guess what the last time I went to work at McDonals UI was 16 and going to school! So I am very grateful that my son got that money! Event htought the only school supplies he needs right now is a bookbag, pullups, and crayons I used it to buy everything else my children needs! Clothes and shoes! I bargain shop so trust me It went along way thanks to payless and all the discount stores on Fordham. I do agree thought that it would be nice if other State officials across the United Stateshelped as well because this recession is rough! And for the parents that do not use the money for what is needed I hope you realize what you have done, because this is not fair for all the people not on programs and are struggling and have not received help! And for all the ignorant people that say that we should not have gotten help, I feel for you, but trust me it’s helped alot of responsible parents!

  • 35. MsGame thank you wrote:

    ty this is well over do for kids about time. i pray some of the money went to buy school supplie and uniforms for kids. cause some kids go all year with no uniform and bookbag what a shame ty for who ever thought of this God Bless You. Wish You Long healthy life

  • 36. SB wrote:

    “You knw what this is Why we as a people fall Under The title igNorant And Hateful” These people Need the money they got its not hard to see the need, I did not get the money but I say I don’t care how its spent these people take cae of their children and at the end of the day who’s to say that the wOrking igNorant people that left chilling heartless comments Take their checks and get hiGh witth them also….Don’t judge leave that to GOD!

  • 37. SHANTEL LEWIS wrote:

    First of all let me say that I think this was a good idea yet I agree when you say it should have been in a form of a voucher. Second I received my money today and was very grateful. NOW THIRD OF ALL FOR ALL THOSE IGNORANT PEOPLE WHO KEEPS SAYING THEY WORK ON THE BOOK WHAT THE HECK DOES THAT MEAN??? I WORK 50 TO 60 HRS A WEEK ON THE BOOKS AT A VERY HIGH END HOTEL MAKING $15.00 AN HOUR AND I RECEIVE FOODSTAMPS AND ONLY FOODSTAMPS – I PROVIDE FOR MY CILDREN I DRIVE A NICE CAR BUT DOES THAT MEAN I DON’T NEED ASSISTANCE.IN THIS TIME OF TRYING TIMES EVERYONE NEEDS ASSISTANCE AND MY HUSBAND BRINGS IN A INCOME. YET I AM STILL ELIGIBLE DOES THAT MEAN I AM LAZY OR SORRY HECK NO- WE ARE TRYING. THE FOODSTAMPS HELP. I PAY MY RENT AND UTILITIES JUST LIKE A LOW CLASS OR MIDDLE CLASS CITZEN. SO BEFORE YOU BASH US FOODSTAMP RECIPENTS OR WELFARE RECIPENTS – NOT ALL OF US ARE ON DRUGS OR BUYING TV’S. AS A MATTER OF FACT. I BROUGHT MY KIDS ALL THERE UNIFORMS AND SUPPLIES 2 WEEKS AGO. LIKE RESPONSIBLE PEOPLE DO. SO THAT MONEY WILL GO TOWARDS A BILL LIKE ELECTRIC SOMETHING THE KIDS NEED – THE RENT ANOTHER ITEM THAT IS NEEDED FOR THE KIDS.

    MY QUESTION TO ALL THE IGNORANT PEOPLE IS WHAT DO U DO WITH THE MONEY IF U ALREADY FINISH SCHOOL SHOPPING SEND IT BACK.
    SOME OF YOU PEOPLE ARE SO IGNORANT. BE MORE APPRECIATIVE THIS IS THE ONLY PRESIDENT HAS DONE THIS FOR US IN HISTORY.
    MOST OF YOU DIDN’T EVEN VOTE FOR THE MAN AND HAS A COMMENT- GET YOUR SELF REGISTERED TO VOTE FIRDT B 4 U MAKE STUPID COMMENTS

  • 38. Yvette wrote:

    I believe that everyone with school-aged children should have received this money. I work and feel that because you are on welfare or getting food stamps, doesn;t make you any needier than me. People make choices in life and those choices comes with consequences. The ones that have lost thier jobs and can’t make ends meet due to the economy should have received this money, but on the other hand there are those that will not use this money correctly. Vouchers would have been a good idea. School aged children needs school supplies, shoes, and sneakers. Which means that vouchers for stores like Cookies, Payless, & Footlocker would have worked. This stimulus package was taken to help everyone, not just low-income.

  • 39. ch resident wrote:

    it’s a very good idea but as usual it does not include the middle class who are struggling just as bad or if not worse than the low income. Just because they are not eligible to receive food stamps does not mean that they are not struggling. Most of these middle class citisens are earning a decent salary but are paying outrageous prices just to put a roof on there heads and to have health coverage, and then tuition on top of it. It is very easy to judge but YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT GOES ON BEHIND THE CLOSED DOORS!!!!! They should have also had the middle class citisens in mind.

  • 40. Read letter from SHANTEL LEWIS wrote:

    B“H

    DEAR SHANTEL LEWIS,

    BINGO! Folks, look at the end of her letter:

    ”BE MORE APPRECIATIVE THIS IS THE ONLY PRESIDENT HAS DONE THIS FOR US IN HISTORY.
    MOST OF YOU DIDN’T EVEN VOTE FOR THE MAN AND HAS A COMMENT- GET YOUR SELF REGISTERED TO VOTE . . . .“

    This is all about a bribe: buying votes from low-income people!!!

    I urge all hard-working low-income people to pay attention to where this country’s ECONOMY is going now, before you’re so quick to sell your votes for $200. per child.

    The country is multi-trillions in debt. This is an historic record amount! Don’t believe it for two seconds when we’re told that taxes won’t go up (and it’ll be by more than $200. per child, mark my words!!!) to cover all of these ”stimulus“, ”cash for clunkers“, ”bank bailouts“, ”national health“, etc., etc., etc.

    If the Federal Government doesn’t grab back more of your money in taxes, then the state and local governments will, or they’ll add it to our utility bills in the form of hidden taxes and surcharges, or in increased sales taxes. This is for sure!

    Also, think about what’s going to happen to your elderly relatives, when they get told that they can’t have that hip replacement, or that knee replacement, or the rehab after a stroke, or the pacemaker, or the triple bypass, because they’re ”not worth it“ — too old for it to be ”economical”!!!! Same for the needs of our disabled children — we’ll get told that we should have aborted them — like a good liberal would (chas ve’shalom)!!!

    If you want a color-blind society, look past the color of the president’s and the governor’s skin, and see what they’re doing to this COUNTRY and to this STATE!!!

    PS — read the article — this one-time vote-grab payment came from Soros and Gov. Patterson, not from the president!

  • 41. Towana wrote:

    I feel that when people need help if you can help them then just do it…you can’t predict what they will do only pray they do what the help was intended for.

  • 42. Alice wrote:

    I have one child who’s on public assistance and I’m disable. The dead beat hubby that owe child support is nowhere to be found. The rent is high and the money I get goes to everything. Which leaves me with little I get for my daughter. I wish it could apply to my state. We struggle all the time and it’s hard when you’re a single parent. We have public assistance in ct this doesn’t apply to us what a shame. I could only wish that everyone in the us could get this.

  • 43. tlibra wrote:

    Unbelievable! Again the middle class is forgotten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yeah-good job Gov. Paterson-Re-elected not by my vote!!!!!

  • 44. BT in SA wrote:

    I suggest you re-read the article, ML, who wrote: “Read the article! It is not Tax $, it comes from an org called Open Society, the founder is Mr. Soros, a jewish man, he is making the donation to help these families as he was helped when he was poor, after WW II.”

    Mr. Soros only made a contribution, it is in addition to “$140 million in federal funding through the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) emergency contingency fund that was established under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) earlier this year.”

    That federal funding? MY TAX DOLLARS! Hard at work providing for welfare babies. What an incredibly fabulous idea. Take my hard-earned money and give it to someone who is unwilling to earn their own.

  • 45. jkedge wrote:

    I am a single mother of three and can’t get ANY help no wheres. Talk about DISCRIMINATION!! I am not one of those ppl that will sit around and let the working ppl take care of MY children! I had them and I am taking care of them, get these ppl off the system and get them working!!!!! I make $20.00 to much to get foodstamps, and still struggle making ends meet. What do I say to my kids, SORRY GUYS MOMMY HAS TO PAY THE BILL FIRST AND THEN TRY TO GET THE SCHOOL THINGS U NEED. It’s all b/s if u ask me and a whole bunch of other WORKING parents.

  • 46. kitkat wrote:

    i feel every state who receive foodstamps should have got this 200 dollars packaages to not fear we all need help with back to school for our kids

  • 47. nine9lives9 wrote:

    The higher and middle class people of this society need to understand that if these lower income families didn’t need it they wouldn’t all be lined up to cash it. This $200 bucks would take the place of a bill a struggling mom don’t have to struggle to pay because of this. If you don’t see anything good coming out of this is truly sad. I live in Sumter South Carolina and the people out here has heard about what happened in New York and agrees it is a good thing. We wish we had a chance to get something like this here. Appreciate it!

  • 48. FedUpandUpset wrote:

    Wow!!! I usually don’t respond to these kind of posts because most of the people get redicolous. I hold a Master’s degree in Computer Science from R.I.T and 2 bachelor’s degrees in Mathmatics… I am appauled by some of these responses! I have custody of my 14 year old daughter. I married early but my wife passed away shortly after my daughter being born. I worked 2 jobs – delivering pizzas at night and the other being a tutor in math as I went to college full time as a single dad. During my college career i never applied for food stamps nor did I get well fare. After I graduated I found a really great career as a computer programmer and a Corporate Traininer for about 12 years. March of 09 I was laid off at my employeer. I was one of the 3000 targeted for a layoff across the US. I worked for the 3rd largest Software vendor in the world SAP America. I grossed about 160k a year and I religously grossed on an average of anywhere from 100-150 before my career with SAP – I now make 430 a week on unemployment. Since the lay off I have lost my 200K home, had to file BK, lost about a 100K in my 401K and had to move into a 2 bedroom apartment in the freaking ghetto where I live so I could afford to take care of my daughter and make sure her needs are met. One evening I just broke down in tears and felt so helpless. I had bill collectors calling be at 2 in the AM! I couldnt escape it all. I found a website that suggested food stamps and medicaid. I did the research and applied. I dont get much but I am not ashemed to be getting this temporary assistance from the govt – God knows I paid into it for many years… I am sure there arem many people and famlies out there that are like me but feel to ashamed to admit it. We are at a terriable time right now. Obama is just bandaiding the issue. This will not fix our problems!!! The problem is at our borders! We let the forigners from India come to our Country to work in our US companies on H1 B visas and they under cut our hourly contracts by 60 70% – stealing jobs from the US citezens. I believe that oppertunity is for everyone – but I think that is should only expand as far as the US boarders and to US citezens! Our problems run a lot deeper than just a mere 200 bucks per kid. We should all be writing our congressman and tell him that we demand to reclaim our country back! It should have jobs for us not forigners! Give teh US back to its people and you will see an economy start to grow again!

  • 49. Amy wrote:

    Unfortunately many of those that received these benefits will not use it for school supplies. I agree that they should have been given vouchers. Like many I’ve worked my whole life to provide for my family. Now that I am unemployed I do not qualify for any assistance. It is so frustrating when my earnings for over 20 years helped pay for others. When is help going to be given to people who really need it? Real hard working people who just need some help from time to time? By the way I know many people who are getting away with not working and receiving all sorts of benefits. They get their rent paid, food stamps, child care (yet they don’t work) and now cash for their many children. What’s up with that?

  • 50. c kimball wrote:

    am calling on all news agencies to get this out. And now I am calling the TV news stations and Governor Paterson. I don’t know if you heard about the $200.00 per child school supply money welfare recipients are receiving. They can basically spend the money how they please. They received the money in their welfare atm cards. In fact letters were even sent to the people who received them. They are going out now I understand. The only stipulation is they can only spend $50.00 at a time. I know someone at the Fulton rite aid who said they are buying beer and other thing with it. No school supply. My questions what about the working mothers who work and struggle to get school supplies where do they go? I was told by Assemblywoman Addie Wilson office that the money came from a federal stimulus package of $140 million New York received to simulate the economy and 35 million from private donation. . It is about time the working taxpayers of New York stood up to the government agencies.

  • 51. shawnie wrote:

    to those peole who are judging families on food stamps
    i have five kids and me and their dad live together we both work
    but we dont make enough to pay our bills and feed our children so we need stamps to help us out
    so dont assume that everyone getting assistance are lazy,ghetto or uneducated
    we have 2 cars and we own a home
    but the size of our family makes things a little hard

  • 52. anon wrote:

    this is my 1st time receiving food stamps only. lost my job earlier this year. have a$1500.00 rent and two kids. i am used 2 working so do not knock others like my self. this money is helpful, but how can i retrieve this money. i do agree, vouchers or many selected stores shoul benefit from this deal. help!!

  • 53. parentmad wrote:

    i won’t bash most of the families that have received the money. i know there are some kids that really need it. my hope is that the money was used for that purpose. im a single mother of 2 kids with no help from anywhere, not even child support. im barely making ends meet, but i do cause i have my kids. yes i drive a nice car, but before the recession, i was able to take care of the bills and have some money left over, now im lucky to have 60.00 worth of groceries in my house for the month. you dont have to be on public assistance or on foodstamps to be low income. my job isnt giving bonuses or a cost of living increase. so i have to say to govenor patterson. what were you thinking. im all for doing for the kids. but couldnt you have done it across the board. my kids couldve used the money just like anyone else. we could use the foodstamps as well, but i refuse to be ridiculed by the system of why i have certain things before this whole economic crisis started. i refused to be treated like a number, i refused to give the system my life story just to be told no. i speak based on experience. i was on public assistance and when clinton was in office, he said i along with other recipients had to be off in 5 years. so i went to community college and took advantage of every resource available. i graduated and i obtained a job shortly after that. it wasnt my dream job, but it afforded me to get off of public assistance and that was 1997. all of these organizations who want me to donate money are a trip and a half. when i need the help i cant get it, but its ok to take it out of my check to give it to someone else. i just dont get it. again, this couldve been done fairly. you shouldve known that this was coming.i know women right now who went out to get their outfits for the weekend already , while im sacrificing a bill or 2 to get my kids things for school. you probably wont get my vote either. everyone can what they want about elliot spitzer, he helped me out when he was attorney general, he helped me get my money back from a sheisty dealership, and further, i dont care what he did in his private life, he didnt use my money! ny state need to get it together and that includes you govenor

  • 54. shanae wrote:

    If the government wants to be this giving, why are they only giving to NY state. All over this country single parents are stressed about how are they sending their kids back to school. Many states outside of NY are already back in school. What happens to those people. Fair is fair, when New Yorkers are reaping the benefits others are still struggling. If this was suppose to do anything for low income families, how come other states are left behind.

  • 55. bigbrother wrote:

    Bla Bla Bla it is still Welfare. This whole country is going down hill because of handouts. Why didn’t they buy school supplies and give them to the students in school. I can’t wait to get out of New York, it is getting dummer by the day. Hey loser enjoy your $200 and junk you buy with it, because this tax payer is leaving the state, and your not getting my money anymore.

  • 56. None of your business... wrote:

    How about taking care of the hardworking middle class family in NYC? Why are we not entitled to part of that stimulus money? It would be nice to have some help buying school supplies for our children too. I am tired of living in a city where I am treated like an outcast because I do the right thing. The problem is the government feels the need to give money to people that should be working and CLEARLY do not deserve it – sorry. Take the money and find a way to put all these people to work. What a joke this City has become. Just keep handing out our hard earned money. Now I know why so many people are leaving this state. Pretty soon all this place will be left is with TRASH and millionaires. GOOD LUCK!

  • 57. No one cares wrote:

    Joke – Joke – Joke ……all you read about is how hard it is for sinle parents…yaddi-yadda. It’s hard for all of us. Why not all jump in the same boat and fight this government together instead of crying “oh poor me”? Always comes back to people having all these kids and then can’t support them.

  • 58. CANDIUS NE wrote:

    Im a single mother and i have to work 12 hour days to get everthing i need for food because i dont get food stamps. i make 20dollars to much.I KNOW MANY PEOPLE WHO LIE AND NOW YOU GAVE THEM MORE MONEY. WHAT ABOUT US WHO WORK BUT ARE LOW INCOME.

  • 60. farmergirl wrote:

    This makes me so angry I could cry! Yet another handout that will create a new generation of second-class citizens. That’s right, that’s really what this is all about not helping people in need, but getting people to depend on the goverment, this doesn’t help people it DIBILITATES them. There will be no drive to work hard for things in life when the goverment continues on with these ridiculous types of handouts. I’m working two jobs to pay for my children’s needs, who’s helping me? NO ONE and I wouldn’t accept it even if someone did because it’s WRONG! You reap what you sow people…

  • 61. Not everyone in need is being helped... wrote:

    Are you kidding me?! I know an unemployed single parent with two kids who gets foods stamps PLUS child support and money from her family who has been going to amusement parks all summer, partying with friends, and not to mention only buys name brand cloths for her and her kids. Ex. she bought her small child a white Baby Phat shirt for $70 long after she started receiving EBT!! If a person can find a way to do all of this, (not to mention BUY A $70 SHIRT) does that person need a grand total of $400 for school supplies?! Meanwhile I know a person who doesn’t qualify for food stamps by $40 who is not only buying all her childs necessities by herself — no outside help — but is struggling everyday to make ends meet to keep her home!! Where’s her help? Who’s bailing her out of her desperate situation?! Lets face it — just because a person isn’t on some form of gov’t assistance doesn’t mean the person is low income. And to boot, how does the gov’t or the rest of us know the parents aren’t using this money outside of the purpose it is intended? That first parent I was talking about went on a shopping spree with it! How is this right? They should have treated the money like they do the WIC checks — list what it is to buy and be unable to process if it isn’t listed. It’s unfortunate, the intention was good, and those who got it and truly needed it and used it as it was supposed to be I am happy for them. But there are still people who are taking advantage of the system who ruin this good deed.

  • 62. Paula Wiltsie wrote:

    THIS IS SICK!!!!!! I know families who are bragging they got the $200.00 for their children and they are not even getting what the children need. THIS IS MY MONEY THEY ARE SPENDING!!! NOT YOURS GOV.DAVID PATERSON, The working men and weman of this world is paying for them to get this money and abuse it.
    I have 5 children in my home and I don’t have $200.00 per child to get school things let alone new school cloths,for my children. That is $1000.00 for the children in my home. Where is my money? Where is the working men and woman money? I know give it to these lazy people who don’t do anything but brag about there money they get for notting and eat better then we do. Let their children go to school looking like they came in a pial of money when it is really our money. Let them set back and brag about it on Myspace and all over the net and on their cell phones and YES even is the stores.
    How sick are you? I think I will have my husband stop working and live a better life on WELFARE or eat a better meal on FOODSTAMP just I can have my children looking great when they walk into the school this year.No I WON’T because we are better people then you. BUT HOW SICK!!!!!
    I really don’t know why I am even writting here, none of you people who do this to the working families even care about what we go through in our everyday lives. Just care about the users and the abusers that can get off thier butts to work but don’t. YOU DON’T CARE ABOIUT US, EVERYTHING FREE TO THEM AND BETTER LIFES FOR THEM

  • 63. crown heights mom wrote:

    I can hear the pain in everyone’s voices. Those who did not receive the money are angry that they to have to pay for school needs and those who did get the money resent the insinuations that the only reason they received it was due to being lazy and hiding money from the government. This is suppposed to be stimulus money that will get our economy moving- this is the trickle up system. Anyone on foodstamps or welfare can not have more than $2,000 in their bank account at one time. This means that any money given to them must be spent immmediately. When you are on government subsidies there is no such thing as having the luxury to save for a rainy day. This money goes into the local stores coffers. Then they have more money to pay their suppliers. Then they have more money to hire more workers. Then they have more money to pay into their local stores coffers. and the cycle goes round and round in the form hopefully of an upwards spiral. That to me seems to be the theory. As far as the kid’s benefiting from it- it would have been better to be vouchers. However that would not help our local stores as there is a time limit to use the money.

  • 64. Madparent wrote:

    What kills me is that patterson imposes a “fat tax” as he calls it, on soda, when to some that might be their only luxury after they’ve paid the bills. But to pull this stunt, was below the belt. How about helping fight national grid for their out rageous charges for our utilities. How about doing something about city parking. U wanna threaten me about paying parking fines or booting me yet, we don’t have a place to park! I along with so many other families who are low income, need the help too. We got real estate people swindling us with this rent to own crap,taking advantage of us because our credit may not be the greatest. Getting assistance is stimulance enough. When I was on public assistance I made it work for me, and trust me I wouldnt want any parts of if I donti have to. The people who work for the county were rude and treated u like gum on the concrete. I work for my money, and it’s taken from me support theses programs.My kids shouldve been given the stimulus incentive as well

  • 65. Susan in Eden wrote:

    I am a NY single mother, and I work my butt off. What New York State did for me, my son, and my daughter with the 400.00 grant I got was allow me to get the rest of the school supplies my kids needed, and some new clothes for my daughter, which is what it was for. i am not lazy or unmotivated. I work 50+ hours a week, plus babysit a neighbor’s kid, and I STILL fall under the poverty line. The food stamps I get for my household are a GODSEND, and as much as I hate to be in the group of folks called the “working poor,” I am so grateful for this grant for my kids!

    NOT EVERYONE WHO GETS FOODSTAMPS IS A SLUG, OR LAZY. I WORK MY BUTT OFF (ON THE BOOKS), and I am still poor.

  • 66. Singleparentworkinghardtosurvive wrote:

    This in all honesty was a good idea. How the aid was given out is the big problem. There are people on the system who really do need the help. On the other hand you have the chicks who buy the $2,000 Luis Vitton bags and their baby daddy drives around in the big trucks. They can afford to go to the super market and load up on groceries while the rest of us pick thru the sales flyer. The problem is :the system needs to be weeded out, now who exactly does that? Is it at the state or local level? Just like you guys voiced your opinions here we need to let Bloomberg know that this is one of our concerns for his re-election. All this aid is putting a band aid on a festering boo boo. The working class are the ones who really need the help. We throw money into the pot put get slapped on the wrist if we try to take some out.

  • 67. Katfen wrote:

    This blows me away, how do you people on welfare afford internet access and a computer? We couldn’t afford it even with two people working up until about 5 years ago, and we are 48 years old. Seems to me the reason you need extra 200 is to pay for your internet connection.

  • 68. Dayanara Mendez wrote:

    Hy my name is Dayanara Mendez I am a single mother of two kids a 15 year old daughter and 10 year old son I receive Public Assisnte Food Stamps I am in Virginia and sorry to said this but is not fair that you only give this stimulus special grant only for new york people what about the other states theres a lot of low income families in all the states so its not fair cause i am a low income mother with two kids and is not fair that only New York people gets the money for back to school

  • 69. $200 stimulus, I think not. wrote:

    It should have been vouchers for school supplies only. I work in the school system. Many parents do not do right by their kids. Since this is cash, I am sure that 98% of this will be spent on items not for the children.

  • 70. Susan in Eden wrote:

    Hah–I am not on welfare–I am on food stamps, and the only reason I have an internet connection is because I transcribe from home. It is how I commute to work. It costs me less to transcribe from home than it would for me to put gas in my car and drive to work, and pay for child care.

  • 71. Mom in Brooklyn wrote:

    Not every parent that recieved the money is a welfare recipient. Im a single parent of 2 that works but recieve food stamp assistance to maintain my household. I used the money to purchase a washing machine to keep the kids clothing clean so that when they go to school,they look presentably & clean. It may not be what the money was intended for but they were happy to know we wouldn’t be struggling in the winter months pushing a shopping cart in the freezing cold and/or snow.

  • 72. Taxpayer sick of welfare scammers....... wrote:

    SHANTEL LEWIS, something doesn’t add up with your story. You claim you make $15 an hour and work 50 to 60 hours a week on the books. So that would mean you make anywhere from $36,000 to $43,200 a year, which would mean you don’t qualify for food stamps. Lets not forget your husbands salary.

    See Income Guidleline below for foodstamps:

    Income Guidelines (no elderly or disabled member)
    Family Size Monthly Gross Income* Annual Gross Income*
    1 $ 1,127 $ 13,524
    2 $ 1,517 $ 18,204
    3 $ 1,907 $ 22,884
    4 $ 2,297 $ 27,564
    Each additional person $ 390 + $ 4,680 +

    *These figures based upon October 1, 2008 Federal Poverty Levels.

    So you are either lying about how much you actually make or you are being paid off the books which in turn allows you to lie to the government about how much you and hubby are actually making. So in other words you are a scammer who knows how to buck the system. Shame on you, it’s people like you who abuse the system that make it bad for those who don’t. It’s people like you who taxpayers are sick and tired of supporting. My daughters friend is a single mom with two children and she can’t get foodstamps. She makes $12 an hour, works 40 hours a week, which in turn puts her just barely over the amount allowed for a family of three. She is someone who could truly use them.

    Oh by the way this had nothing to do with Obama, so you can take him off of the pedestal. I suggest you read the story again. I will say though Mr. Soros in the story had a hand in buying Obamas presidency.

    Shame to all of those parents who didn’t spend the money in the way it was meant to be spent, on your childrens school supplies.

  • 73. veronica wrote:

    I would like to know, since my son is turning 3 yrs. old in September would he be able to receive $200 for his school clothes. He will also be attending school!!

  • 74. protmethus wrote:

    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.“
    ”When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“
    ”The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself.”
    —Benjamin Franklin

  • 75. curious wrote:

    My mom recieves disability from social security, is she eligable too? Cause I’m 17 and going to college and I could really use that money.

  • 76. astamm wrote:

    Oops, it didn’t work. Another liberal policy gone wrong. Apparently, these needy welfare families spent money on booze, cigarettes and electronic equipment. Walmart managers tipped off the authorities, when a rash of welfare recipients were buying these items. This can be verified on Fox or google it.

  • 77. Educated woman wrote:

    I think it is good that they recieve this money for school purchases but what about other states.

  • 78. Concerned Parent wrote:

    This isnt fair to all low income families! What happens to the families that are low income but dont want to be on welfare and have kids that go to school as well. We can use the money for our kids also. Plus, we have no idea what this money is being used for. Why not give the kids the supplies needed for school insted of putting it in adults’ hands in which some might use it on themselves.

  • 80. Tee wrote:

    Wow… you can really see the differences in people just based on the posts here. You have everyone from the bitterly mis-informed (like the people worried about their “tax dollars”), to those who are obviously just looking for a hand-out(like the guy asking for a Christmas Bonus).

    I received the $200 benefit. I am a single mom. My daughter was 9 at the time. I am going to say straight off that the money I received went towards my little girl. I paid off the layaway I had at Kmart with her school clothes/supplies on it. I bought her a pair of sneakers on clearance at Finish Line for $20 and I got her hair cut. That $200 went a LONG way for us. My income last year was a little over $12,000… plus about $2400 in child support($200 a month)that I recieved. I don’t qualify for Cash Assistance but I do receive Food Stamps and Heap. Both of which are life-savers for me. I work an average of 50 hours a week. 2 part-time jobs. I can’t get a full time job because I couldn’t afford to finish college. Someday, when it becomes possible, I’ll go back to my 3.8GPA and get my Bachelor’s Degree in English so that I can become a book editor.

    I guess what I would like to say is that not everyone that retains help from the state wants to. Not everyone that retains help feels good about getting it. Not everyone that gets help is trying to con the system. I, too, know people that mis-used the grant. I think that a better way to have done it would have been to make clear that people had to show receipts for the items that were purchased. It’s pointless to give the money to the school systems. Generally, they could care less about lower income families…. and it couldn’t be used to buy things like school clothes and sneakers. Having to show proof to someone of what was bought, and having defined outlines of what could and couldn’t be on that list, would have been a much better idea. The consequence of not turning in your reciepts?? No further help from the state. On any level. Using it to pay bills and buy groceries is not what the money was for. My groceries are bought with the Food Stamps that I recieve. I budget and make lists and stretch the pennies. That money was for the children. For them to get new pencils, backpacks, pants. THOSE are school supplies. Groceries are groceries.

    The welfare system needs a major over haul. Being able to buy potato chips and pop with food stamps, but not having any idea where you are going to get laundry soap, toilet paper, shampoo, and gas for your car isn’t a good idea.

    It’s pointless for those that we have elected to try to conquer this monumental task. They have no experience in being forced by circumstances beyond your control to live on a severely limited budget. They have no experience in trying to figure out where your child’s college education is going to come from… so that they don’t end up in the same place you are in. They have no experience in how horrible it FEELS to have to walk into an office and beg for help. And how horrified you are to sit in a waiting room for 3 hours with people who aren’t there because they really need the help, but because they can get it. Because their income doesn’t come from a legal source and therefore doesn’t exist on paper. The best experience is after waiting for 3 or 4 hours hoping that something can be done, to get shot down, and told that because you took the extra 3 hours at work almost a month ago, It put you over the income limit by $16. BUT, you can try again in a month. Maybe someone will be able to help you then. They need to find a few, good, Single Moms. The ones that are working hard and not getting anywhere. The ones with brains and an opinion. The ones with ideas. Bring the Moms in as a consult. I guarantee we could get Welfare back in order. And probably balance the State Budget in the process.

  • 81. Gloria Pineda wrote:

    If their is such thing in geting money for kids for school clotes and utilities or any program. can some one help me geting clothes for my two daugthers one is 11years old and the other one is 6years old. I would be so grate full if you can e mail information. thank you,Gloria Pineda
    July9.10

×

Comments are closed.